Monday, June 4, 2012

Final Writing Process


            I like writing about myself.  I find myself in bizarre places, in funny situations, and I reflect.  I make connections from one experience to another and I want to share those connections with people.  That’s why I write creative nonfiction.  This quarter, I added journalism to the mix.  I reported.  I learned about the concept of timeliness, even if I don’t care about it.  I read other reporters work, this time imagining crafting a complex piece together.
            Though this work, I still do not consider myself a journalist for a few reasons.  First, I don’t like approaching events, situations and relationships as a documenter.  I am an actor, a planner, an organizer, a do-er and a reflector.  I lost my camera on study abroad and never looked back.  If I have time to stop and document at an important event, I am not doing enough.  I am not emerged in the action, enough.  That being said, reporters and recorders are intrinsic to an event, a situation, a movement and relationships.  Information and communication through journalism can be a catalyst.  It can improve lives, inspire movements and grow understandings.  I participate in these aspects of journalism in reflection.  Though I am a mover, I am also a reflector.  After an event, I write down everything from my memory, from my eyes and the new connections I made through observation and conversation.  Through the interviews I conducted in this class, I realized that I can be more strategic about my observations and conversations.  Community members harbor so much information that can be revealed by simply asking questions.  That was my breakthrough of the class.  When I was forced to ask questions about a subject, I realized how easy it is to figure out an answer to a question. 
            I will continue digging up stories and writing narrative non-fiction about those things that I find inspiring, frustrating and confusing in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment